The Greatest Gift is Helping Others
Opportunities to Give During the Holidays
(OKLAHOMA CITY) – Dec. 12, 2017 – During the season of giving, the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma is asking the public to help fight hunger in the state. The majority of Oklahomans served by the nonprofit are chronically hungry children, seniors living on limited incomes and hardworking families struggling to make ends meet.
“Hunger never takes a holiday,” said Katie Fitzgerald, chief executive officer of the Regional Food Bank. “We need your help to ensure that our neighbors living with hunger have access to healthy food this winter.”
Following are several ways to give this holiday season:
- Embrace the spirit of giving. Thanks to a generous matching challenge from APMEX.com, the Cresap Family Foundation and Chesapeake Energy Corporation, every gift received through Jan. 15 will be matched, dollar for dollar - up to $600,000, for a total impact of $1.2 million. Every $1 donated will have double the impact and will provide 10 meals for Oklahomans living with hunger this winter. To make a donation call 405-600-3136 or visit regionalfoodbank.org. After the match is met, every $1 donated will provide five meals for Oklahomans living with hunger.
- Spread cheer and volunteer. During each shift, volunteers pack enough food to fill a tractor trailer with food. Sign up now to volunteer in January and February.
- Shine a light on hunger. Visit the Downs Family Christmas Light Ministry, located at 2900 72nd Ave. S.E. in Norman, from 6 to 10 p.m. through Jan 1. The light display features more than 13 miles of lights flickering in the night. While the show is free, food and fund donations for the Regional Food Bank are encouraged.
- Make a gift in honor or memory of a loved one. Help make a difference in the lives of your neighbors living with hunger by making a gift in honor or in memory of loved ones through a Holiday eCard.
- Shop and give back. When you do your holiday shopping at AmazonSmile, Amazon donates 0.5 percent of the purchase price to Regional Food Bank. Bookmark the link and support Oklahomans living with hunger every time you shop.
- Enjoy Lyric Theatre’s “A Christmas Carol.” Lyric is once again raising money for the Regional Food Bank during the run of “A Christmas Carol,” presented by Devon Energy. The show runs through Dec. 24 at the Plaza Theatre. Funds are raised through the collection of cash donations at the end of each performance.
Together, we can solve hunger this holiday season. For more information visit regionalfoodbank.org/events or call 405-972-1111.
About the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma
The Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma is the state’s largest hunger-relief organization and a member of Feeding America’s network of Food Banks. The 501(c)(3) nonprofit provides enough food to feed more than 136,000 hungry Oklahomans each week through a network of more than 1,300 schools and charitable feeding programs in 53 central and western Oklahoma counties. Since its inception in 1980, the Regional Food Bank has distributed more than 613 million pounds of food to feed Oklahomans living with hunger. For more information, visit http://www.regionalfoodbank.org; find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/regionalfoodbank or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/rfbo.